Monday, December 7, 2009

Borough Market

"The best jam I've tasted in my entire life."

So said Lauren, regarding her sample of Pear & Vanilla Butter from England Preserves. I can't say I disagree, though I found the taste a bit puzzling. But Lauren seemed pleased (to say the least) with her purchase, though I am willing to wager it had more to do with the man she bought it from (pictured right). I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity to say that is one handsome jam salesman. Or it could have been the fact that it only cost £3.50.

Moving on.

Borough has a sterling reputation, and we think it's well warranted. Thursday through Saturday at Borough is something to behold. Throngs of people, delicious samples and smells filling the air. My own personal favorite at Borough would have to be the grilled cheese, which is basically sourdough bread infused with halloumi cheese, shallots, and onions. Greasy? yes. Disgusting? a thousand times yes. Delicious? always.

But today was no day for grilled cheese. The donut was still with me from Portobello, so I opted for simple samples of salsa and hummus. Quite good, I'd say.

And while I love Portobello with all my heart, Lauren holds Borough near and dear. It's undoubtedly her favorite market -- and I can't blame her. We both love food. I just love Portobello's diversity of product a bit more. Plus Borough isn't so easy on my middle-class billfold.

Borough was exceptionally crowded on this day. It was about half two in the afternoon on a Saturday, and the yard at Southwark Cathedral was packed with groups snacking on food and sipping mulled wine. As I sat in the same yard, waiting for Lauren to snap some photos and reviewing some poetry in my journal, I surveyed the scene before me. I thought back to Church Street. To the diversity there versus here. Borough, like Portobello, is very white collar. I felt that guilt creeping back.

How can I be so unappreciative of the real? The affordable? Why am I drawn to the inexpensive and unattainable? The fancy and the wealthy?


I don't know. One more chance. One more market. On to Brixton.







No comments:

Post a Comment