Monday, December 7, 2009

Portobello Road Market

The one. The famous Portobello Road Market. When I first came to London, feeling morose and alone, missing my family, my American confidence, my Panera Bread and my valuable dollar, I set out for Portobello Road. I'd heard it was a wonderful introduction to the city, and while overwhelming at times, would help me through the confusion and sadness of the first week. And it did.

For that reason I will always have a sentimental attachment to this market. Perhaps this obscures my objectivity. I don't really care, to be quite honest. In my mind, Portobello Road is the best market. Nothing comes close. You can take Borough and its kangaroo cheeseburgers, Brick Lane and its overpriced vintage wear, or Camden and its array of international food; I'll take Portobello.

As we reached the start of Portobello, we noticed a French camera crew filming a dapper young man on the sidewalk. Being a student of German, I could understand nary a word this man spoke, but the scene gave me an idea of this market's significance. Portobello is a culturally identifiable aspect of this city's culture. And while the market often makes me feel as though I'm a part of this city rather than a visitor, I feel tiny as well. Oh, the contradiction.

Feeling kick-started but not quite energized, I came to Portobello with one thing in mind: breakfast. Unfortunately, I was a little too ambitious. Lauren and I usually split a donut at Portobello, but we opted for one each. While it'd be safe to say each of us regretted it, I did more so. The combination of lethal doses of sugar and my beetroot juice from Notting Hill was not what I'd hoped for (this has all been documented pictorially, as you will find below).

But we pressed on, stomach ache and all. I eventually bought an apple to allay some of this pain, but it was still an adventure. We walked the length of the road and called it a day, knowing that our day was only just beginning. And while we both left a little fatter and (in my case) fairly dissatisfied, we were aware of our place in the world; Portobello Road Market with nausea is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, it trumps anywhere else for me.

Pictures below, as always.










No comments:

Post a Comment